Diversity, equity, and Inclusion on web3: dismantling a monolith through the Wheel of Privilege and Power.

โ€” ยท
nemerie0x
ยท

Diversity, equity, inclusion, and representation in web3 - are they just buzzwords or a real opportunity for change? ๐Ÿค” Keep reading to discover the power of a visual tool and how it can help us navigate the complex landscape of diversity, equity, and inclusion (dei ) in web3.

I know that you've probably heard about these concepts before, but let's take a moment to really delve into what they mean from my point of view and why they matter so much. ๐Ÿ˜Š

In my perspective, diversity means more than just acknowledging differences in race and gender. It means recognizing and appreciating the unique qualities that make each person who they are. ๐Ÿ™Œ

๐Ÿš€ equity is about working to eliminate systemic barriers and creating equal opportunities for all groups.

๐Ÿค inclusion requires creating a supportive and welcoming environment where everyone feels valued and heard.

๐Ÿ’ช representation ensures that diverse perspectives and experiences are accurately reflected in the industry. Unfortunately, underrepresentation is a reality in the tech industry, and it hinders progress toward inclusion and equity. ๐Ÿ˜”

To truly understand the relationship between these concepts, we need to be aware of the power dynamics that contribute to underrepresentation. ๐Ÿ’ญ

Marie Roker-Jones introduced me to a concept that has helped me navigate this complex landscape: the wheel of privilege and power. ๐ŸŽก This graphic, adapted from James R Vanderwoerd's "Web of Oppression" and Sylvia Duckworth's "Wheel of Power/Privilege," has opened my eyes to the intersectionality of DEI. And then it all got way more interesting! ๐Ÿ˜

In the center of the wheel is the word "power," and on the margins is the word "marginalized." ๐Ÿ”

The categories include:

๐Ÿ”ธ body size
๐Ÿ”ธ mental health
๐Ÿ”ธ neurodiversity
๐Ÿ”ธ sexuality
๐Ÿ”ธ ability
๐Ÿ”ธ formal education
๐Ÿ”ธ skin color
๐Ÿ”ธ citizenship
๐Ÿ”ธ gender
๐Ÿ”ธ language
๐Ÿ”ธ wealth
๐Ÿ”ธ housing

Each category has a marginalized group on the outside of the wheel and a privileged group in the center. ๐Ÿค”

Now, I'm in a better position to understand Marie Roker-Jones when she says: "DEI is not a monolith" because intersectionality matters! Otherwise, we risk telling only one story, and that is extremely dangerous. We'll talk about it in the following posts. ๐Ÿ’ฌ

As we continue on our journey toward a more inclusive web3 industry, let's keep these concepts in mind and work to create a more equitable and welcoming environment for everyone. ๐Ÿ’ซ

Check the graphic below and let me know your thoughts in the comments. ๐Ÿ’ฌ

Remember, every step we take toward DEI is a step in the right direction. Let's keep pushing forward! ๐ŸŒŸ

Image ALT tag

Be the first to leave a comment here.